Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Struts Wiki" for change
notification.

The following page has been changed by JeffBeal:
http://wiki.apache.org/struts/ActionErrorsAndActionMessages

The comment on the change is:
Added link to page explaining html:errors and html:messages

  The difference between saveErrors(...) and saveMessages(...) is simply the
attribute name under which the ActionMessages object is stored, providing two
convenient default locations for storing controller messages for use by the
view.  If you look more closely at the html:errors and html:messages tags, you
can actually use them to get an ActionMessages object from any arbitrary
attribute name in any scope.

- While we're clarifying, the difference between html:errors and html:messages
is purely in syntax and model -- both tags *default* to look for an
ActionMessages object under
[http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/api/org/apache/struts/Globals.html#ERROR_KEY
Globals.ERROR_KEY] despite the difference in names.  I wasn't part of the
history, but I'm assuming that around the same time that people were realizing
that there's more than one kind of message to pass, they also realized that
sometimes you want more flexibility in displaying them.  html:messages provides
more flexibility at the cost of more typing.
+ While we're clarifying, the difference between html:errors and html:messages
is purely in syntax and model -- both tags *default* to look for an
ActionMessages object under
[http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/api/org/apache/struts/Globals.html#ERROR_KEY
Globals.ERROR_KEY] despite the difference in names.  I wasn't part of the
history, but I'm assuming that around the same time that people were realizing
that there's more than one kind of message to pass, they also realized that
sometimes you want more flexibility in displaying them.  html:messages provides
more flexibility at the cost of more typing.  Niall Pemberton has posted more
+ [http://www.niallp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/HelpTagsErrorsAndMessages.html
details] on the differences between html:messages and html:errors on his
website.

  I hope this helps to clarify things.  I would strongly encourage people to
have a look inside the Struts source code, as it's really quite clear when you
look under the hood.  You can see what happens in validation by examining the
"processValidate" method in RequestProcessor:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-struts/src/share/org/apache/struts/action/RequestProcessor.java?view=markup
@@ -23, +24 @@

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-struts/src/share/org/apache/struts/taglib/html/MessagesTag.java?view=markup

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-struts/src/share/org/apache/struts/taglib/html/ErrorsTag.java?view=markup