Hubert Rabago wrote:

Yes, but it doesn't mean I'm not open to other ideas.  In this case,
I started out reading from everywhere that fields should be private,
and everything should go through accessors (even subclasses).  But I've
been burned by that restriction LOTs of times (in some cases, I had
to rebuild entire libraries to get access to the fields I needed), so
I'll need some convincing.  If private fields are what's best, how come
every other config field is protected?

i suppose a middle ground would be to keep the properties object protected but provide and use only accessor methods within struts?

:)

riyaz