James, I'm glad you answered :-))

Personally I don't think that struts was successful because it missed
functionality. I think it was (and is) successful although it missed
functionality. I don't think it is a reason to abstain from this
functionality, especially, if it's really needed. The fact, that you are
happy with it, doesn't mean everyone is, we see it often enough on the
struts-users list.

My personal reason to make my teams switch to struts since 2001 wasn't the
Action/Mapping/Forward. This is something many teams had by the time in
their own frameworks, and which isn't hard to implement. The cool thing were
the taglibs.
jsp:useBean wasn't sufficent, you had to write a lot of scriptlets, and
iterations were a mess. Struts helped you to remove 90% of scriptlets. This
was cool, this looked better, the pages were readable again.
The other cool thing was, that it all came in one package. You could start
with simple actions and bean/logic taglibs, move along to action forms,
better maintain your pages and page structure with tiles, and so on.
If you haven't used it, it didn't hurt you either, it was simply there.

I don't see how arg0Name/arg0Property would hurt struts after there is an
arg0 attribute already.

I don't see how proper logging gonna hurt struts.

But I'm only a user and therefore not seeing the global picture.

I don't have exact data, but I'd guess, that 50% of struts users switched to
EL (and struts-el) because they had no other chance. 30% are probably
developing and maintaining own taglibs. That means, they check out
struts-source of a release, let's say 1.1 or 1.2, develop their tags on-top
or patch struts.jar and will probably never be able to upgrade (just have
this situation in one of the projects I'm consulting).

Now, why is it good for anyone?

And yes, I've got the message, and won't write anything to this topic or
attempt to volunteer again.

Regards
Leon