On 9/6/05, Leon Rosenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > If your servlet container has a broken implementation of
> > get/set attributes on an HttpSession, there is nothing that
> > Struts can do to protect you from problems ... even providing
> > synchronized locks around get/set calls would still not avoid
> > problems caused by application logic, or logic inside the
> > container itself, that would bypass it.
> >
> > Sounds like you need to get after the folks providing your
> > container to fix this.
>
> since the Servlet spec leaves it up to the webapp to implement thread safe
> setting and update of session objects I don't think I will find a safe
> container out there :-(

When I was working on Tomcat a couple years ago , I can vouch for the fact
that it did this correctly. I haven't looked at the latest version's
sources, but I can't imagine they would have broken this -- it's too
fundamental.

Sure, struts can't save you from this, but struts could give you tools to
> right cleaner webapps. And it would be 20 lines of code.

Adding this to Struts would be:

* Making applications *less* clean rather than more, because
they would be adding a layer of complexity around an existing
function provided by the platform APIs, without any corresponding
improvement in ease of use to compensate.

* Creating needless runtime overhead on containers that do not
fail to handle get/set attribute safely.

* Providing a false promise that using the utility methods protects
you from this flaw in the container. It can't provide that guarantee.

Regards
> Leon

Craig