[snip]

> * When an immediate action (not actionListener) is used, the JSF runtime
> calls FacesContext.responseComplete() to bypass validations and
> model updates. That doesn't happen with an action listener unless you
> do it for yourself.

I was not aware of the distinction.  That explains why it doesn't work
on the second click but it just shifts the problem to an unxpected
result on the first click.  I will try your suggestion of simplifying
the example to see what is going on.  It might be a subtle bug in the
MyFaces implementation.

> Craig

Thanks,
sean