+1 (non-binding). Definitely a good way to add a lot more clarity about where things stand and what needs doing.

L.

Don Brown wrote:
I propose we use an automated, easy to understand roadmap that relies on Bugzilla tickets marked against Milestones.

With all the action in the Struts project lately, it is hard to see what is going on where, and specifically, qualitatively how much work remains before a Milestone will be reached. We need a system that makes it easy to see at a glance the roadmap of each Struts subproject, and guide new contributions.

I see the solution involving the following:
1. All tickets, bugs and enhancements, should be marked against a Milestone if accepted 2. Any major feature or bug fix committed to svn should have a ticket and be assigned to a milestone. 3. A ticket should only be marked against a Milestone if a developer has committed to work on it 4. Once all the all the tickets against a Milestone have been resolved, the release is ready to be rolled.

The public face of this solution will be automated roadmap pages, which will be generated from Bugzilla reports. These pages will show, at a glance, the status of each subproject, its milestones, and current progress toward reaching them.

I've developed a Java console app, driven by a cron, which screen scrapes Bugzilla reports to generate a roadmap [1]. As you can see from the demo, we don't currently use milestones much at all. The roadmap is an idea taken from Trac [2] and I've personally have had great success with this approach of organizing Milestones.

Comments?

Don

[1] http://www.twdata.org/dakine/roadmap/action.html
[2] http://www.edgewall.com/trac/