Sean, you write as if it's a zero-sum game. Sure, chat may exclude those who aren't there, but it's not like decisions are only made in chat rooms. I don't know of any way that code could be effectively changed and committed from a chat room.

If people chat and decide to code something that non-chatting committers didn't like, the non-chatting committers would express their objections wherever they may, and vetos could happen, and all the like.

I know a lot of projects use IRC and other chat strategies successfully. I don't see how it can hurt anything, even if some of us don't participate.

Joe