Here's my first thoughts on possible approaches to addressing the problem, to kick off further discussion on the dev list:

- SAF1.2 and before: ? document, don't fix? add config req'm'ts on action mapping? Refer to discussion on user list for various options.

- SAF1.3+: make cancel processing a command which you have to include in your request processing chain, and perhaps disclude it by default? [I'm not familiar enough with how you deploy chains on a per-action basis to know if this is the right way to do it...]

I think this would be affected by what is done with 1.2... if it is modified to by default not allow Actions to be cancelable for instance, I would think it would be better to replicate that change into 1.3, which would likely entail changing the default chain. Open for discussion obviously :)

To be honest, I've never really picked up on the use case for the "cancel" functionality. Is this something that a lot of people use?

In any case, I don't think we want to make an entirely new chain or even command out of this; all we need to do is change the behavior of the "handleCancelled" method in AbstractPopulateActionForm. (http://struts.apache.org/struts-action/xref/org/apache/struts/chain/commands/AbstractPopulateActionForm.html#144)

I would propose that the simplest approach would be to change it to consult the ActionMapping for an arbitrary string property with a key like "CANCEL_PARAMETER". It would use this parameter name instead of the Globals.CANCEL (perhaps also adding a check for the same param_name + ".x" to catch the case of an image button, as does the current hard-coded parameter check.

If we want to make things easiest for compatibility, we could add a boolean property to the AbstractPopulateActionForm like "legacyCancelSemantics" -- if this value were true, things would work as they always have; if false, they would work as I've described.

Depending on the sense of urgency between closing this gap and not breaking existing code, the default value of this property could be true or false, but it would be easy to change in a local copy of the chain-config.xml (This is the kind of thing that starts to push whether it's suitably easy to change chain-config.xml for local purposes, something about which I have some reservations for novice users.)

Reactions?

Joe

--
Joe Germuska