Whether we do this now or not is debatable, in my mind, but the more I think about it, the more I think we'll need to do it, and just from a project management perspective, let alone a end user confusion one. Shale has components, Action 2 will have components, and certainly Action 1 has components. If the components need their own release cycle, then the alternative is to have a three-tier organization, but I think Apache wants to avoid that after Jakarta.

I've been starting to work more on Action 2 (WebWork 2.2.2 has been delayed a day so the release and Apache import should happen tomorrow), and I'm seeing that Action 2 will have at least the following components:
 - Core (WebWork 2)
 - Apps
 - Legacy

And probably more if we split up WebWork 2 further. WebWork 2 currently handles this by setting up Ivy "configurations", but leaving the code in one tree. You do have the problem where an infrequently, non-core part of your project holds up releases, but again, unless we could do a three-tiered (Struts -> Action 2 -> Core, each having their own releases), that's what we'll have to do. Giving Apps its own subproject, with branches for Action 1, Action 2, and Shale is too complicated, I think.

I'm fine staying the course for now to ensure Action 1.3 gets a GA release soon, but we should resolve this before Action 2 gets out of Incubator.

Don