+1 - as this is the next version of struts I think it makes sense to make this move now. There is always webwork 2.2.2 for users that require a JDK 1.4, which will allow for the majority of the framework features and an easy stepping stone over to struts2.

/Ian

Don Brown wrote:
There has been a lot of discussion on Java 5 support for Struts Action 2, and from my reading of the comments, we have settled on a path, but I want to formalize it in a vote to ensure we are all on the same page.

I vote we develop Struts Action 2 with Java 5, taking advantage of it where ever we can. At the same time, we should use Retroweaver to build jars that will run in a 1.4 JVM. For those that aren't familiar, Retroweaver supports conversion of an impressive amount of Java 5 features and language changes. In summary, Retroweaver supports [1]:

    * generics
    * extended for loops
    * static imports
    * autoboxing/unboxing
    * varargs
    * enumerations
    * annotations

Therefore, our development philosophy will be to take _full_ advantage of Java 5, but provide a working jar for Java 1.4, however, we can't guarantee every Struts Action 2.0 feature will be available to Java 1.4 users.

[ ] +1 Make Java 5 the target
[ ] +0 I am fine with this move, but I'll still mainly interested in 1.4
[ ] -0 I am not too keen, because ...
[ ] -1 I am against this move, because ...

I'll tally the votes after at least 72 hours and include the count in our STATUS file. The vote is open to anyone.

Don

[1] http://retroweaver.sourceforge.net/documentation.html