Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Struts Wiki" for change
notification.

The following page has been changed by RainerHermanns:
http://wiki.apache.org/struts/RoughSpots

      * [jcarreira] I'd encourage people to give the ww: tags a spin... they're
really much more powerful than the JSTL or previous struts tags and you don't
need so many tags to do things. On being closer to HTML attributes, do you have
some examples?
      * [mrdon] +1 for aligning attributes with HTML attributes
      * [tm_jee] -1. If I'm not mistaken I think WW's tag are doing stuff in a
broader perspective, typically in a theme perspective and I hope we could still
keep it that way, if possible. A textfield for example, merely says its a
textfield, how it behaves is entirely up to the particular theme. Normally, one
would extends from a parent theme, and overide those components' template that
they want alteration accordingly or introduce other templates that could
co-exists with their counterparts to skin the component.
+     * [rainerh] Big -1... The ww tags are no dynamic replacement for simple
HTML tags, but a complete set of UI components. With these themeable components
small and large webapps can be easily build. All (important) HTML attributes
are supported, not for the simple tags, but for the complete component.

    1. Actions should return concrete objects, not symbolic results.  Symbolic
results might have been optimal when you had one event/method per action and
the outcomes were always whole-page views, but they get in the way now.  When
you want to return anything that requires more than the symbol, you have to do
some less than intuitive things to make the Action and the Result cooperate.
I'd prefer to see a concrete Result get returned from Action methods, which
would allows developers to do more powerful things more easily.  There are a
bunch of ways to make it backward compatible too.  You could return 'new
SymbolicResult("success")' and have the SymbolicResult do the lookup stuff (You
could even redefine the String constants to be SymbolicResults).  You could
alternatively use a static class to do Results.find(SUCCESS).  Or you could
even allow method to continue to return String or Result, and if String wrap it
in a SymbolicResult.
      * [frankz] +1.  This is one area where I personally think Struts had it
right and we've seen frameworks getting it "wrong" subsequently.
!ActionForward I believe is the right concept, even if the realization might
not be optimal.  I think the difference between return "ok"; and return new
ActionResult("ok"); is pretty minimal, but the later opens up a lot of
possibilities being a true object that can have behaviors and properties and
such.