At 3:03 PM +0100 5/5/06, Niall Pemberton wrote:
On 5/5/06, Joe Germuska <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 >Its probably academic, but since CRP extends RP then it seems
incorrect to deprecate the whole class with a view to removing in the
future. Wouldn't it be more correct to deprecate all the protected
methods (e.g. processActionCreate(), processActionForm etc.)?

Perhaps we should consider what the desirable end point is - IMO CRP
becoming the RP seems like a good idea...so maybe the steps should be
something like the following:

1) Deprecate the protected methods in the RP.
2) Remove RP deprecated methods and move the CRP logic into RP.
Deprecate the CRP.
3) Remove deprecated CRP.

I would agree that this is more correct.  However, deprecating CRP
would be annoying if people had reason to extend the
ComposableRequestProcessor, which for a brief while was the only way
to cause Struts to use a custom implementation of the ActionContext
interface; that specific issue has been corrected now that you can
instead provide an implementation class name, but there are still
some potential bootstrapping issues if you wanted to have your custom
ActionContext class be initialized in some special way before it was
launched on its path down the chain.

I take your point about removing CRP being annoying - although it
doesn't seem a great burden for people to have to change their custom
RP's ancestor from CRP to RP - since I assume that people don't have
lots of custom RPs.

I agree in general with your assumption; I'm actually just trying to get some other folks to look at the code I wrote around that and help make sure that we don't end up forcing people to make lots of custom RPs because of an oversight. I've never been all that satisfied with the ActionContext creation/bootstrap process in CRP. It works, but it seems kind of clumsy.

For me the ideal end point is just a single RP and it seems cleaner to
have it called RP than CRP. That would be my preference, but if others
disagree and think that getting there is a PITA - its not a big deal.

no, I agree with you.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska