So, adding the msgs.info("key") really isn't going to be used by developers? The code below, if I am reading it correctly (not too much experience with JSTL), will call the list or map for the error/msg/warning directly and iterate over the elements.
So why do we need the additional methods?

/Ian

Don Brown wrote:
But since this class implements List and Map, it is very obvious how to retrieve messages:

<c:forEach var="msg" items="${msgs}">
  <li>${msg}</li>
</c:forEach>

or

<c:forEach var="msg" items="${msgs['fooField']">
   <li>${msg}</li>
</c:forEach>

And of course we'd also provide the simpler JSP messages tags to make that even easier. In fact, users of the UI tags won't ever have to display messages, as they are generally handled by the component templates.

Therefore, what we are doing here is optimizing for the most common case, user sets messages and probably uses JSP components so they are automatically displayed.

Don

Ian Roughley wrote:
I think this is ambiguous. In logging, you are always setting the message. User farmiliar with log4j might think the methods below are for setting error/messages/warnings and not obtaining them. I think the getters and setters make more sense here.

/Ian

Eric Molitor wrote:
The new Messages API could easily be mapped onto an implementation
similar to that of Log4J. Why not embrace that idea and utilize
familiar methods to provide access.

such as...
msgs.info("some.key");
msgs.warn("some.warn.key");
msgs.error("some.error.key");

It does increase the number of methods but the argument is that the
familiarity outweighs the effort of adding those methods. By default
it only provides a small set of fixed levels, however custom levels
should be easy to implement. I would even argue having a limited set
of built in levels actually makes things easier for new developers.

There are a few APIs that are known to almost all developers. By
embracing a similar API a sense of familiarity is provided that should
ease adoption and understanding. That's my rational at least and it
usually serves me well.

Cheers,
  Eric