On May 5, 2006, at 9:36 AM, Jason Carreira wrote:

Ugh... I really don't like that... really... seems like using an ugly hack instead of defining a higher-level abstraction.

The deal breaker for me was that users will be able
to reuse the same
code inside and outside of our framework. They
won't have to port
their code from the servlet API to our new
abstraction API. And it
makes less work for us and fewer new things for
users to learn. ;)

Well, we can do that without tieing to HttpServletRequest and providing a hack to make a PortletRequest look like an HttpServletRequest. How about just higher-level abstractions which let you get to the stuff you need without knowing which one you're accessing? There are going to be Portlet specific and Http specific stuff that you're still going to need to get to the native thing anyway, so let's control the spots where the abstraction leaks... like a pressure valve :-)

Have y'all looked at the TilesContext I'm formulating for Standalone Tiles? It takes it's cues from Commons-Chain's WebContext and some of JSF's ExternalContext. It's a generic API that will eventually have implementations for Portlet, Servlet, and Faces environments. I still haven't worked out all the details, but it looks like maybe we're shooting for the same goal.

Greg