> Let's not exaggerate the impact of the API on user
> code though...
>
> Users record validation errors a little differently;
> you should be
> able to port existing WW2 code pretty easily with
> some clever
> refactorings (which we will document when the time
> comes).
>
> And we're trying to simplify custom interceptor and
> result
> implementations. How many custom interceptors and
> results does a
> typical user implement? Not many.
>
> The new API should be simpler, cleaner, better
> separated from the
> implementation, more intuitive, and better organized.
> If you
> understand WW2, you'll have no problem understanding
> the new API. If
> you haven't learned WW2 yet, it will be easier to
> learn the new API
> than WW2.

One thing to remember about the WebWork community is that we're generally much
more comfortable looking for the hooks into the framework and exploiting them
to make our app code simpler and more powerful. Interceptors, custom
validators, even custom object factories and ActionInvocation / ActionProxy
implementations are not that uncommon.

I still don't understand the (too many) roles that the Request object plays in
the new API, but all of those hooks that people get into as their projects
start to grow are tied to the old APIs. I'll repeat that, for me, it took a
couple of weeks of instability to jump from the 2.1.x codebase to 2.2 because
we did some big refactorings in 2.2. That was mostly just details compared to
the impact API changes would have. Keep that in mind as we think about API
changes. I'm all for changes that make things better, but not so much for
aesthetics.