On 5/14/06, Wendy Smoak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'd rather not re-introduce the term "release candidate" at this
point, especially not in combination with 'Beta'.  Under our current
guidelines, a Beta *is* a release.

And, so is an Alpha. And we can distribute any release - Alpha, Beta,
or GA -- as hard and wide as we like.

Then, after distributing the release as a Beta, if no significant
issues turn up, we can mark the same distribution as GA. In effect,
every release is a release candidate, because every release could be
upgraded to GA, should circumstances warrant.

But, we should *not* even be thinking about marking a distribution GA
until it has been distributed as a public Beta first. That's the part
of the process that's been broken lately.