From: Greg Reddin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Struts Developers List <dev@struts.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, 31 May, 2006 1:36:27 AM
Subject: JavaOne Struts BOF Notes

Well, it took me a week to get back from California.  After J1 we
visited some relatives and toured California and Arizona before a
long drive home.  My contact with the outside world was spotty last
week so I'm just now really getting caught up.  Anyway, here's some
notes I took during the Struts meeting at JavaOne.  Please respond
with corrections, clarifications, and/or expansions.

I was part of the group that discussed potential for sharing of
components between Shale and SAF2.  Here are some of the items that
were discussed:

*  Someone suggested an Interceptor stack to implement the JSF
lifecycle.  This would make it possible to use JSF components in
SAF2.  I saw that this was further discussed in another thread so I
won't say any more here.
*  XWork was proposed as an alternative to Commons Chain as the
action processing engine for Shale.
*  Someone suggested a shared EL that includes OGNL.  The subject
even came up of submitting a JSR as OGNL may have a wider scope than
the web.
*  I brought up the possibility of a shared environment abstraction
component.  Standalone Tiles, Commons Chain, SAF2, and possibly even
Action 1 and could benefit from a layer that abstracts the framework
from the APIs specific to the servlet or portlet specs.  It was also
discussed that this might be part of a web commons project (to exist
somewhere like Jakarta) along with Standalone Tiles.
*  Annother potential for shared components is the validation
framework and annotation styles.

Other groups simultaneously discussed what to do with AJAX support
and how to formulate the SAF2 API.  Both of those are being discussed
in other threads.

Hopefully, that clarifies some of the things that were talked about.
It was really cool to meet some of you and I look forward to someday
meeting the rest.  It's amazing how much of a difference it makes in
reading your emails to have a voice and face to go along with the text.

Hope to see you again soon.
Greg