On 6/19/06, Joe Germuska <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

At 10:11 AM -0700 6/19/06, Martin Cooper wrote:

>I've been wondering if Dojo shouldn't perhaps be added to the Maven repo
on
>ibiblio. At my day job, we use two DHTML toolkits. I added them to our
local
>repo, and they get incorporated into the app using the Maven dependency
>plugin. This works really well, so we might want to contemplate something
>similar here (although it's obviously a little different with a
framework).

What would this be exactly?  Just a mirror of the downloads at
dojotoolkit.org?  Or something that could be used directly in Java?
I've had a ghost of an idea in my head that you could put a Servlet
in front of Dojo and serve it out of a JAR so that you had a more
clear idea of what was in the release -- I've never been too
comfortable with unpacking the distro and putting it in my web tree,
where conceivably people could start tweaking it and diverging from
the source.  But just a ghost; not sure how much it would really pay
off.

I don't know _exactly_. ;-) I haven't thought through all the issues yet.
What we did at my day job was deploy a specific profile to our repo, and
then explode it into our pre-warred app, which is what you mention you're
not so keen on. I'm less keen on putting it into a jar, because at that
point it's no longer a static resource, and therefore could put more of a
load on the server.

One thing that makes deploying to a Maven repo not entirely straightforward
is Dojo's profiles. You could deploy all of the "standard" profile builds, I
suppose, but that doesn't help anyone who wants to use a custom profile.
I've talked to Alex about the idea of a profile-building tool in the past,
and I suppose functionality could be included in that to deploy the
resulting profile to a Maven repo. That would be cool.

--
Martin Cooper

At 12:56 PM -0400 6/19/06, Frank W. Zammetti wrote:
>With Dojo, I don't think the same is true... there really isn't any
server
>component to be integrated.  Yes, you could wrap the widgets and make the
>tags do some of the client-side setup and such, but that's really more
>about convenience than integration to me (and not that convenience isn't
>important!).

What about a modern alternative to the html:javascript tag which
consulted serverside validation config?

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
[EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://blog.germuska.com

"You really can't burn anything out by trying something new, and
even if you can burn it out, it can be fixed.  Try something new."
        -- Robert Moog