I think when we start to say "we're going to add value" to a
dependency, then we have to make it a hard dependency, and expect that
everyone using the feature will be using the exact same version of the
dependency.

If we go the "added value" route, then everything related to "adding
value" should be in a separate package. I would suggest creating an
actual "Ajax" package, so that the Ajax integration critters do not
get mixed in with other unrelated extras.

I think we should view this level of utility as an *extension* to the
core framework. It should be something we can plug-in -- or plug-out
-- depending on the needs of an individual project.

If a project wants to use DWR or Dojo in a way that is incompatible
with the way SAF2 "integrates" these packages, then the project should
be able to opt-out of our integration scheme.

Deciding to "add value" to another codebase is not trivial. I think
it's a good idea, but it doesn't seem to me like "adding value" to an
arbitrary dependency is integral to the core mission of the framework.

I think an Ajax/Dojo or Ajax/DWR extension to the framework would be
an good thing, but perhaps we should conceptualize the component as an
opt-in/opt-out extension.