On 6/25/06, Martin Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 6/23/06, Ian Roughley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have been thinking about this a lot lately, and I would say that GWT
> is more likely to replace web frameworks than work with them.

I wouldn't phrase it quite like that. It's more like AJAX in general changes
the way in which we build the server side of web apps, and GWT demonstrates
that more dramatically than many people have seen before.

If you really buy into the AJAX way of building web apps (i.e. not just
adding tweaky bits to existing apps), then the most dramatic change is that
you find yourself writing very little server side code. (I'm not talking
about the "business logic" here, only what sits on top of it.) Once you have
something in place that deserialises requests and serialises responses
(which GWT provides with their RemoteServiceServlet), then almost all you
have left to do is implement CRUD operations on top of the business logic.

It is kinda like when Tucker appeared (Citroen DS for those on the
other side of the pond) that all other cars of that time immediately
became obsolete. Still usable, but obsolete nevertheless. The funniest
thing is that Tucker and DS are still pretty amazing even now, despite
that other guys had half a century to catch on.

;-)