Andy:

Use this as your action servlet instead:
http://struts.apache.org/struts-doc-1.2.9/api/org/apache/struts/actions/RedeployableActionServlet.html

Paul

Andy Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: The team I work with has encountered an
apparent problem with Struts
when the servlet is reloaded by the container. We are using Weblogic
9.1, but the problem appear to happen on other versions, and possibly
other containers. The spec does not appear to be clear regarding the
ServletContext behavior across servlet instances, and in the case of
Weblogic 9.1, it appears to fully preserve the ServletContext. The
problem we are having is that the RequestProcessor instances stored in
the ServletContext are destroyed when the ActionServlet is destroyed,
but they are not removed from the ServletContext. As a result, when a
new servlet is created with the same context, it finds the
RequestProcessors already existing, but they have a null reference to
the servlet (since their respective destroy method was called). As a
result any attempt to get to the Servlet resources, such as the
ServletContext, results in a NullPointerException in the RequestProcessor.

Even the latest version appears to do this. Google searches on the
problem reveal other users have had the problem, and even a patch/hack
that resets the servlet variable in the RequestProcessor every time it
is accessed. There is also an existing open issue () on JRun that may be
the same problem.

A simple one line addition to the Servlet destroy code to remove the
destroyed RequestProcessor from the ServletContext fixes the problem.

Is anyone familiar with this issue and can valid or correct my
understanding? And If I am correct in my understanding, is this
something I should submit the one line patch for? I've not had the
opportunity to contribute to struts before, and little to any project as
much as I'd like to.

Any comments, feedback, corrections, validations, etc, would be appreciated.

Thanks!