On Jul 24, 2006, at 9:47 AM, tm jee wrote:

About the ant build that creating a skeleton for various portlet container, what if we build a maven arcetype specific for each of the portlet container?

Maybe,
   mvn archetype:create ......  portlet-liferay-archetype-starter
will create a template/skeleton for liferay portal, just like what we did for struts2-archetype-starter.

What do you guys think, feasible?

To me this is no different than building maven archetypes to deploy a Struts app into specific app servers. Do we want to provide tools with the framework to deploy apps into Tomcat, JBoss, WebLogic, etc. or do we just use tools provided by the server vendors and provide documentation to help people use them? Honestly, I don't know what the WebWork approach has been in the past. I think with Struts, we've just provided helper documentation for those kinds of things.

With portlets I'm learning there are multiple levels of integration. There are "bridges" that help you turn your app into a portlet: i.e. a Struts-portlet bridge, a JSF-portlet bridge, etc. That's what the MyFacesGenericPortlet class is and the Apache Portals Bridges subproject[1]. Then, there's portlet integration with various portal vendors. JBoss, Liferay, Jetspeed, BEA, IBM, Oracle, etc. all have their own deployment strategies. (Sorry if I'm bombarding you with information you already know. I'm just now going deep with portlets and portals). With Liferay, for example, you create a liferay- portlet.xml and a liferay-display.xml and they provide an ant script that turns your .war file into a Liferay portlet and hot deploy it. With JBoss (IIRC) you create a jboss-portlet.xml and drop your .war file in the right directory. I can't remember the process with Jetspeed. And I haven't tried any of the others.

Given what I've learned so far, my preferred approach would be to write a generic bridge to ensure that Struts apps could work within portlets with as little difficulty as possible. I'm getting closer to being able to just drop a JSF app into a portal using the vendor- provided deployment strategy. That would be the ideal for me. I never (or very rarely) will have to write a "portlet" if I can help it. I just write to my favorite framework and I can deploy it as a web app or as a portlet.

Thoughts?
Greg

[1] http://portals.apache.org/bridges/