My take on this conversation is there are two main viewpoints:

 1. Simple convention that uses existing action mapper and wildcards
2. Elaborate convention that uses new action mapper and probably configuration provider

and really, I think implementing both is worth considering. We provide a default struts.xml which uses the simplified convention, then with a switch, let the user use the more complex conventions.

Don

Patrick Lightbody wrote:
Heh - well, that's how this was implemented in the first place. I wrote my own
ActionMapper. My point is that I have seen a lot of success with a combination
of ActionMapper+Convention-based-configuration, and I think we should really
think about pushing this to a broader set of users.

I think Don and I agree though - implementing this stuff as wildcards would be
very difficult. Our thought instead was to implement it as the recommended
approach to get started, but then allow for all the standard overrides via XML
that you can do today in WebWork, as well as wildcard support there. Then
everyone wins.