On 8/21/06, Don Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I think we should keep s2's dependencies down to an absolute minimum.
If you are writing an application, the more you reuse third-party
libraries the better, however, if you are writing a framework and/or
library, ideally, you should have none.

The main reason libraries should have as few deps as possible is it
imposes undue restrictions on the application using the library.  For
example, say Struts 2 started using commons-lang 2.1, but the
application wanted to move to 3.0.  They'd have to wait until Struts 2
moved to 3.0, but then all the apps using 2.1 would be forced to upgrade.

IMO, the ideal library has no dependencies, and I include
commons-logging in the forbidden list.

Any library of any consequence needs to log errors and exceptions. We can't
dictate to our users which logging package they use, and we need to provide
for unified logging throughout an application. Given those constraints, how
do you propose that we handle logging if we don't depend on something like
Commons Logging?

--
Martin Cooper

Don

Paul Benedict wrote:
> Because Struts does alot of Spring manipulation on URIs, would it make
sense to add Commons Lang as a dependency? This way we don't have homegrown
string parsing done everytime. Thoughts for s2 too?