On 8/22/06, Don Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I think a couple extra classes is worth switching from this:

public Order createOrder(User user, Product product, int quantity) {
    if ( log.isLoggable(Level.FINE) ) {
        log.fine("Creating new order for user: " + user.username() +
            " product: " + product.name()
            + " quantity: " + quantity);
    }
    return new Order(user, product, quantity);
}

to this:

public Order createOrder(User user, Product product, int quantity) {
    log.debug("Creating new order for user: #0 product: #1 quantity: #2",
user.username(), product.name(), quantity);
    return new Order(user, product, quantity);
}

I suppose it was an accident that you spread the log.fine call over 3 lines,
but used one much longer line for the log.debug example? Stretching a point
perhaps? ;-)

As long as the log output and log configuration for my end application is
unified - so Struts output and Commons component output go to the same place
- then I'm OK with using something other than Commons Logging, if we have
to.

--
Martin Cooper

Considering how often we log things, I think the cleanup is huge and a
few classes are definitely worth the price.

Don