Ted,
My opinion on this is that the ! syntax should be used strictly as a URL
pattern and not anywhere else. That means we shouldn't name files like
foo!bar-validation.xml, but instead figure out another way to map it to a
context.

Currently, you can name those files "foo-bar-validation.xml" where foo is the
class and bar is the "context" (ie: the action name). It might be time to
instead re-evaluate the context being in the file name and instead allow for
validation rules to be bound to the "context" and/or method invocation _inside_
the XML file.

Ie: you'd have one foo-validation.xml and then in there you could have
validation rules that only map to certain action aliases (contexts) or only
when certain methods are being invoked.

Make sense?

PS: The reason I say the ! syntax should be strictly left to a URL pattern
thing is that we should encourage people experimenting with their own
ActionMapper any time they choose. They could, for example, change ! to be "/"
so that it looks more like a path. We wouldn't want to bleed our the "!"
pattern to other parts of the application.

My