Would a plugin even need to be part of the core or extra JAR?

Other products based on plugins tend to distribute each plugin separately.

Sometimes plugins come bundled with a greater release, but, in most
cases, I believe any of the bundled plugins could be released
separately if a fix were needed.

-T.