On 11/21/06, Ted Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 11/21/06, Alexandru Popescu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Don, I agree with you that a release should be scheduled sometime very
> soon. However, at this moment due to the latest changes I would
> suggest the following process:
>
> 1/ tag all dependencies (XWork2, Tiles2, Guice, CodeBehind etc.)

I'd agree that a stable release of XWork2 is key. If the not for the
dependency on a XWork beta, we might be voting Struts 2.01 GA right
now, and wonderng whether to declare the HEAD Struts 2.1 :)

We should keep in mind that we only announced the Struts 2.0.1 beta
two weeks ago. AFAIK,  there are no major issues witth the 2.0.1 beta,
and we should continue to encourage the general public to review the
2.0.1 beta.

The people working on Tiles2 are gearing up for some sort of release,
maybe even this weekend. But, since we distribute Tiles as a plugin,
so we could still mark Core GA and leave the Tiles plugin at beta.
Right now, all the plugins, including Tiles2 and Codebehind, are
tagged and released along with Core.

Why that? To have the users confused?

The Guide code was imported into XWork as the "inject" package, so
Guice is not a yet-another dependency. (Yeah!)

That was a good decission whoever took it.

> 2/ make a release of the external dependencies (XWork2, Tiles2, Guice)

+1 as to XWork (not that I have an XWork vote). Tiles 2 might be
happening anyway. As mentioned, Guice is not applicable.

> 3/ document the new things

Actually, the newest things are documented (thanks Don!). :)

The problem is that, as PMC member, I don't know whether the new
features have been deployed outside of our test applications.

Even in our own applications, we haven't fully leveraged the "new
things" yet, or even all the changes to "old things -- though I'm
working in that direction, and I'll continue to update the release
notes as I go.

> 4/ make an alpha to be tested/played with at least the committers

It would be helpful if committers, and other members of the dev@
community, would test and play with the HEAD. If we have a problem
with dev@ subscribers not being able to build the HEAD, we need to
address that problem directly.

What works best for me is to update and build XWork2 first (from the
command line), and then do the same for Struts2. (Again, from the
command line.) It takes a moment, but it eliminates more surprises,
and there's always other stuff to do in another window (like this!).

Building is one... having time to play with it is another. A
successful build doesn't guarantee anything in fact.

> 5/ only after these push a beta/ga

Before voting something a beta or GA, I believe it's important that
the PMC members be using the build in our own work. We should be at
least one step ahead of the general public. When we vote a build GA,
it should be because we are already using it in production ourselves,
so we *know* it works. IMHO, the time to talk about voting a build
beta or GA is when we ourselves have already deployed the bits, and
our own users have found them joyful.

I agree on this one.

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.

-Ted.

> How does this sound to you?
>
> ./alex
> --
> .w( the_mindstorm )p.
>

> On 11/21/06, Ted Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > My best vote right now would be Alpha.
> >
> > I'm trying to get up to speed with all the recent changes, but I
> > wouldn't want to put something out there for other people to use until
> > I"ve actually used it myself.
> >
> > -Ted.
> >

> > On 11/20/06, Don Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > We really, really, really need to get a release out there, even if was
> > > determined to be beta.  The snapshot system is unpredictable and
> > > confusing for potential users, and really, users shouldn't be using them
> > > anyways as they aren't "official" struts releases.
> > >
> > > Any showstoppers to a likely beta release?
> > >
> > > Don
> > >
> > > PS. I just deployed the snapshots off trunk to maven

HTH, Ted.
* http://www.husted.com/struts/