If tiles can achieve the critical mass to become a TLP then IMO that
would be the best solution - at this point it looks at least a couple
of devs short of that. In the meantime its question of "where can it
do its growing?". Commons makes less sense to me than staying here
since theres definetly already a community here interested in Tiles -
in Commons we don't know how interested the community would be and I
doubt it would ever match here. Add to that the fact that the 3
interested developers are already Struts developers - but not Commons
developers and the fact that tiles resources (repository & bugs) are
already here staying here for the time being looks like the best
option.

I can only think of reasons why it would be better for tiles to remain
in Struts rather than Commons. If there is a case for moving tiles to
Commons, then its yet to be made for me.

Making it a Struts2 sub-project seems like a backward step - what
would have been the point of emarking on a "standalone tiles" if the
end result is for it to just move from being part of Struts1 to part
of Strus2? Again if there are the benefits of doing this then they
need to be laid out.

I really can't see the point of making alternative suggestions without
making the case for them. I can see benefts for tiles being
(temporarily) a Struts sub-project....

- theres an interested community here
- the active developers are here
- the other developers here all know what tiles is about (to varying degrees)
- theres a PMC that knows the software

...and unless someone else makes a better case for an alternative then
thats the best option IMO

Niall