On 12/18/06, Ian Roughley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On the other hand, ripping the ajax tags out would affect backwards
> compatibility.  Are a lot of users out there using these tags?  Could
> the migration be simple or would it involve too much effort?
I have never gotten much of an answer whenever I queries the users for
who was using the ajax tags.  Usually, about 3-4 weeks after a new
change was made I would get some feedback.  Personally, it would seem
that most people are either (a) not using them, or (b) rolling their own.

I'm not sure how much backward compatibility would be affected - as if
the same attributes that are used now could be used in the ajax plug-in
tags.  So if you are upgrading you'd just need to ensure that the
plug-in is there.  I haven't checked lately, but I think there is quiet
a difference from WW2 to Struts2 for the ajax tags (i.e. new attributes,
new dojo version, new tags).

If we extract the ajax support into a struts-dojo plugin, it would
pave the way for alternative plugins. If the change in ajax support is
an issue for someone, then they could roll another plugin based on the
struts-dojo plugin. Likewise for other ajax libaries.

The key question is whether the Struts committers are using the Ajax
theme and how the change is going to affect the applications we have
in production. We can't drag around code that people are not going to
support, and we can't support code that we don't use ourselves.