Using the API from Sep 2006 I was able to access externally an attribute
from a tiles definition as follows:

String sTilesDefName = (String) request.getAttribute("tile_name");
TilesContext tilesContext = new
ServletTilesContext(session.getServletContext(), request, response);

ComponentDefinition componentDefinition =
TilesUtil.getDefinition(sTilesDefName, tilesContext);

String sMyAtribute = (String)
componentDefinition.getAttribute("myAttribute");

I can't quite figure out how to do this using the current Tiles 2 API.

Sam