There's not an actual drop-dead date. Like merit, quality votes never expire.

The 72-hour clause just means that if we had 3 +1s by then, and
nothing seemed awry, we might go ahead and announce it. Hey,
elsewhere, I've been known to cast positive quality votes even weeks
after the announcement, just as a matter of record. :)

Even after we announce a quality grade, the grade is still subject to
actual experience. If a serious issue were discovered later, we could
change our votes and downgrade the quality, if appropriate.

Likewise, we can vote a release alpha or beta, announce it, let others
try it, and then upgrade the quality based on positive experience. An
ASF release vote is not a political statement or a marketing vehicle.
It's our best, ongoing assessment of whether the bits are ready to be
deployed by the general public.

-Ted.