Great news.

I was using Maven 2.05 vanilla. The surefire plugin in this dist is buggy.
(*) Would be nice if maven could report if there are never plugins released
that you could use.

Well I upgraded to v2.3 of the surefire plugin and it now executes all the
tests.

Before:

After:

And there are 4 failed tests:

Failed tests:
  testTypeConversionError(com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.OgnlValueStackTest)

testNoExceptionInSetForDefault(com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.OgnlValueStackTest)

testObjectSettingWithInvalidValueDoesNotCauseSetCalledWithNull(com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.OgnlValueStackTest)

testUsingDefaultInterceptorThatAliasPropertiesAreCopied(com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.AliasInterceptorTest)

PS: The other bug in the TEST XML files are fixed in v2.3