On 7/8/07, Rene Gielen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Very interesting article, indeed. Both WW and S2 use static loggers, as
it was always considered best practice...

On the other hand, the problem only applies if a shared classloader is
used, and I can hardly imagine a setup where struts jars are deployed
eg. in $CATALINA/commons/lib rather than being provided with the
deployed webapp. Is there any situation where we would recommend sharing
s1/s2/xw among applications, or where it really makes sense?

In relation to Struts 1, at least, we've stated that we do not support such
configurations, and that the Struts jars must be included in each war. There
is no good reason to put the Struts jars in a shared location, and numerous
good reasons to not do that. I suggest we make a similar statement for
Struts 2.

--
Martin Cooper

Even if
calling Logger.getLog is not a real performance killer, I would prefer
to call it not on every single object instance creation if there is no
serious, non-exotic reason...

Regards,
Rene

http://www.nabble.com/commons-logging-and-static-log-members-t1244201.html