The "Musachy" patch that prevents the parameters to have the pattern % {*} works great as a workaround (and i'm using that in my e-commerce site where I found this problem).

I think that the final patch should address the unlikely but possible case when the user has to enter (or we need to pass to an action) something like %{*} as a parameter. As discussed in the jira ticket I think that the patch should (a) prevent infinite recursion (as circular reference as you said) and (b) prevent the user input to be evaluated as expressions. If loopCount is the recursion counter, (a) is solved for any limited value but it limits the complexity of the expressions. I suggested the value can be parametrized so if one known he use complex expression can use a higher value. (b) is solved using loopCount=1 by default when dealing with user input.