So to sum up the post-mortem,

Security Releases

 * When a serious security issue  arises, we should try to create a
#.#.#.1 branch on the last GA release, and apply to that branch only
the security  patch.

 * If the patch first applies to WebWork, or some other dependency,
beg the  other group to do the same, to avoid  side-effects from other
changes.

Fast-Tack Votes

If the release manager would like to "fast track" a vote, so as to
make a security fix available quickly, one suggestion is to

 * Include the term "fast-track" in the subject, as in [VOTE] Struts
2.0.9 quality (fast track)

 * In the vote message, specify voting terms like:

----

"This is a "fast-track" release vote. As soon as we have a positive
vote (at least three binding +1s and more +1s than -1s), the release
may be submitted for mirroring. Twenty-four hours after mirroring, if
the vote is still positive, the release may be announced to the usual
channels.

"Prior to the announcement, any PMC member may veto the fast-track
designation for a release vote, in which case we revert to the usual
72-hour voting period, retroactive to the original post."

-----

When the bits are submitted for mirroring, the RM should ping the vote
to start the clock.

In this way, we are able to submit the distribution as soon as it
meets the technical criteria for a release (a positive vote),  we also
include a definite time period for the vote (24 hours after being
submitted for mirroring), and we give PMC members the opportunity to
revert the voting terms if anyone feels fast tracking is inappropriate
in a given case.

Thoughts?