Here's what I've found out:

On Tomcat 6, the following will work to disable processing of #{}:

1. On a per-page basis using a page directive:

<%@ page deferredSyntaxAllowedAsLiteral="true" %>

2. Disable for all JSPs in web.xml:

    <jsp-config>
      <jsp-property-group>
        <url-pattern>*.jsp</url-pattern>

<deferred-syntax-allowed-as-literal>true</deferred-syntax-allowed-as-literal>
      </jsp-property-group>
    </jsp-config>

For #2 to be valid, you have to use a Servlet 2.5 XSD.

AFAICT, this does *not* work in Jetty 6.1.x. However, I think this is a bug:

http://tinyurl.com/yr29fg

Matt