From: Don Brown [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2007 3:32 AM
To: Struts Developers List
Subject: [s2] The death of the .action extension

A long time coming, it is now possible (and practical) to get rid of
extensions altogether, hence the subject, the death of the .action
extension.  With WW-2163 [1], Struts can make the distinction between
a setting that has Struts match all URL's, and one that only matches
URLs with no extension, and furthermore, extension and no extension
URLs can co-exist.

Accordingly, I changed the default 'struts.action.extension' setting
from 'action' to 'action,,'  This allows the <default-action-ref>
element in struts.xml to do what you would expect - let you define an
action to handle directory URLs such as
http://example.com/myapp/mynamespace/

In a future release, maybe 2.2, I'd like to get rid of the .action
extension altogether.  I think one of the key strengths of Struts 2 is
its closeness to the HTTP protocol, and therefore, I think it has
great potential to be a solid REST platform, an architectural style
that leverages the features of HTTP rather than fight them.

Here's to the death of the .action extension! :)

Don

[1] https://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/WW-2163