On 10/23/07, Martin Gilday <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Where abouts is the annotations plugin housed?  I could not see it in
> the struts2 trunk or sandbox trunk.  Following Don's comment in this
> https://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/WW-2264 I was interested in
> trying to created this feature "A new feature we could add would be a
> new annotation so that a user could annotate which setters/getters can
> be accessed, which is probably a good idea regardless.".

We've been doing something like this with .NET at work, except that we
were listing the properties an "action" accepted in XML. I like the
concept, since it more clearly defines the API contract, but I was
always, always, always, adding new properties and forgetting to add
them to the list. With annotations, this might be less of a problem,
but this is also a place where's Matt's "fumble-finger" alerts would
be helpful.

A related idea would be an "accept" validator that says populating the
property is permitted but optional. In that case,  a strict validation
mode would reject any properties without a validator.

Either way, this feature could also lead to actions being able to
describe themselves, the way services do.  (Hmm, are annotations tied
to JavaDocs these days?)