It doesn't help your argument to use Maven as an example :)  I think
it is pretty straight forward - all plugins have versions, only the
bundled plugins are versioned/released along with the rest of Struts
to make it simpler.  If we gave each plugin its own version, which we
did with Struts 1, it gets really confusing really quickly what
versions are meant to go with what releases.  For the occasional
third-party plugin with its own release cycle, this is a necessary
evil, but for the core plugins, it is a huge source of confusion to
users.

Don