Using Struts 1.3.x and I have this problem with error messages be displayed
after moving from one page to another.

I use the validate method in the form class and here is where the problem
occurs.

I use java script to set a the value of button on the form so that we can
check if next was set to the button.
fucntion clickNext()
{ document.form.button.value = "Next"; document.form.submit();}

in the jsp i have <html:hidden property="button" value="xxx"/> to make sure
that no value gets in there that i don't set.

Then it goes through the action class and i null out the button on the form
if its set to next which it does
form.setButton(null);

but then after i return the forward, the button gets set again to the value
Next again by the utils and then when i click on a link to another page,
using the a tag with href=javascript:location="xxx.do" and the form
validation hits again and is saving the error to the request again and
displaying on another page.

Why does the button get set again after i return the forward out of the
action class?  It doesn't seem like it should be happening this way.