you can't define 2 beans with the same type and the same name (in this
case empty by default). if you want to make it pluggable(that a word?)
 you first need to give it a name, like

<bean type="sometype" class="mytextprovider" name="mytextprovider" />

that will register the bean in the container (also give a default name
to the current provider, like "struts"). Now, that bean is not used,
because xwork is wired to use the default provider. So you need to add
a constant that will act like a "switch" for text provider
implementations:

<constant name="struts.textProvider.class" value="mytextprovider" />

Then you register the bean in BeanSelectionProvider, like:

alias(TextProvider.class, "struts.textProvider.class", builder, props);

The ActionMapper is a perfect example of this, look at
struts-default.xml and BeanSelectionProvider.

musachy