On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Martin Cooper <mart...@apache.org> wrote:

> We need to get past this. Where it lives does *not* have an impact on
> whether it's built together with, or separately from, the rest of S2.
> It can stay where it is and also be built along with, and released as
> part of, S2. There are multiple ways of achieving that, the use of
> externals being one of them.

Externals are fine for convenience like 'trunks' or 'current' to check
out several things together, but they will cause trouble when you try
to tag a release.  Since they are just properties on a directory, they
don't magically get updated when you tag.  Definitely not recommended,
at least when releasing with Maven.

The best way to do this is to have everything together in Subversion
in a directory structure that matches the Maven parent-and-child
module structure.

(That doesn't mean that it has to be like this forever though.  If the
mythical Struts 3 appears and xwork needs to be separate... then we
move it.)

--
Wendy