It is very important to recognise that two different steps are
required to accomplish what you want here.

1) The promotion of anything out of the sandbox requires a vote. Thus,
formally speaking, it is not possible to vote on the current topic,
because we cannot include the sandbox version of the plugin in a
release. The plugin must be promoted out of the sandbox before it can
replace the current plugin.

2) Once the sandbox plugin has been promoted such that it _could_
become part of a release, there needs to be either consensus or a vote
to include it as part of what we intend to release. Note that this
does not _require_ a vote; consensus is sufficient. (Of course, a vote
will be required later for the release itself, but that's just a
normal release vote.)

This vote needs to be recast first as a vote to promote out of the
sandbox. Once that is done and has passed, either a second vote can be
started for replacing the existing plugin, if there might be
contention, or - more likely in this case, I believe - a proposal /
discussion thread can be started to ensure that there is consensus to
do so.

--
Martin Cooper