Okay thank you for the clarification.  I had changed my copy of
themes/simple/text.ftl to add the html5 attribute in the case when
"required=true" was set.   This continues to work fine for me when I set
"requiredLabel=true" -- so in my case it does have an additional
(beneficial) side effect, in that my theme applies the required="required"
attribute.

I've given up on possible reversion of the WW-3908 change and changed all
of my templates.  It wasn't too hard.

The only developer-list appropriate aspect of this issue is that treating
"required" as a dynamic attribute sucks because if you specify
 <@s.textfiled ... required=false  requiredLabel=false /> then you get
something completely unexpected -- this is passed through to the browser,
which will require the field due to the boolean-attribute nature of
"required."   I feel that it's inappropriate to treat "required" as a
dynamic attribute, and that renaming it to "requiredLabel" should not have
been done in the first place.  But it was done, so we must react and use
the framework as it is designed.

Thank you for your continued insights into this.