Thanks for the responses. I appreciate knowing how namespaces are used.

So it sounds to me (correct me if wrong) that namespaces provided two
purposes: (1) a convenient way of chopping off the first part of the URI
and (2) namespace level interceptor. I think that's pretty minimal
functionality. Without namespaces, you would just add the first part of the
URI back to your actions and link to a globally defined interceptor stack.
Is it all that different?

Cheers,
Paul