hack to satisfy Roller requirements

Well I don't think its a hack, to have the variable name as part of the id does not seem correct to me

eg
<form id="entry">
    <s:set var="tmp">entryEdit</s:set>
    <s:submit action="%{#tmp}!saveDraft"/>
</form>

ie the name would be :

entry___tmp__saveDraft

vs

entry_entryEdit_saveDraft

calculate ID based on action
AND method at the same time, is that correct?

yes, other tags must be doing this already?