Branko Čibej wrote:

> On 27.01.2012 11:50, Julian Foad wrote:
>>  We need to see how we'd implement a reasonable system of svn:ignores
> and auto-props using the proposed inheritable properties system.  The ability
> see the inherited value and then merge in a child-defined value
> (adding/subtracting/overriding semantic sub-elements within the property
> value)
> is essential if we're going to implement these features using properties
> with semantics like the existing 'svn:ignores'.  To do that, we will
> need APIs that can fetch the inherited value and the explicitly defined value
> for the same path as two separate values, so that the client code can combine
> them according to its own rules.
>
> No, you need to give the inherited properties that carry server-dictated
> configuration a different name, don't you think? Whether the merging is
> then done server-side or client-side is almost a bikeshed.

I'm not quite sure what you mean.  Could you give a specific example?

I used the 'ignores' functionality in my example and was  about to suggest you
do the same, but there's a source of confusion:  we currently have two
completely different ways to specify ignores (client config 'global-ignores',
and 'svn:ignore' property on a directory).  One way to achieve server-dictated
configuration of ignores would be to make the server control the
'global-ignores' setting in the client configuration, as in
<http://wiki.apache.org/subversion/ServerDictatedConfiguration>.  But for the
purposes of exploring inheritable properties, let's ignore the 'global-ignores'
config setting and assume that we're going to control the ignores through
(inherited) properties alone.  That's what I was assuming when I showed my "{
svn:i:ignore:*.pyc, ... }" example.

- Julian