On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 11:10:57AM +0200, Branko Čibej wrote:
> Is doing this in the log receiver really any faster than filtering in a
> custom callback handler, or even a script?

It's not. And it is not about the speed of the filtering itself.
It is much more convenient to have this built in, especially on
platforms that don't have nice post-processing tools installed
by default (e.g. Windows).

I've been using it several times already to find commit messages
for things that I only vaguely remembered -- e.g. "when did stefan2
fix this bug where we worked around APR file flush being broken?".

The command "svn log --search stefan2 --search-and flush" returns
just two log messages (r1325899 and r1240752) to pick from.
For me, as a human who is bad at scanning large amounts of pages
in a pager even with assistance from the pager's built-in search,
that speeds things up. It works well for that kind of thing.