On 07.07.2014 10:51, Julian Foad wrote:
> Branko Čibej wrote:
>> On 07.07.2014 10:27, Julian Foad wrote:
>>> Aha! But Subversion already has a way to read authn creds from a file:
>>>
>>>   --config-dir=x
>>>
>>> All we're lacking is a convenient way to put the required creds into
>>> the file. A user interface could be:
>>>
>>>   svn auth authenticate $REPO_URL
>>>
>>> or, if you insist on being able to cache a user name and password when you
>>> don't currently have access to the server:
>>>
>>>   svn auth authenticate $REPO_URL --force --username=y --password=z
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>> Won't work given how we currently store credentials. The credentials key
>> is not the URL, it's the realmstring, which you (in general) will not
>> know without actually contacting the server.
> OK, right. To be clear, you mean the *second* thing I wrote (the --force
> variant) won't work. The first will.

Yes, certainly.

There are other uses for your proposed "svn auth authenticate" command,
though. For example, it would be really nice if users could register a
trusted server cert before contacting the server, and register a client
cert for a realm before contacting the server, too. For example, we
currently do not even store client certs in the credentials store, only
their passphrases; which is rather unfortunate, to put it mildly.

-- Brane

--
Branko Čibej | Director of Subversion
WANdisco // Non-Stop Data